Saturday, May 30, 2009

Reflections

Two 1/2 weeks ago I failed to plant my foot properly on a front stair and down I went. I broke my tibia quite badly and hit my head on a landscape rock. The good news is that I have a hard head. Even though there was a lot of blood and stitches were required, no serious damage was sustained. My leg, however is immobile, non-weight bearing for 3 full months. That is a whole month longer than I was originally given to believe. Beyond that, I will require a full knee replacement around the first of the year.

Richard has been so very good to me. He has catered to all my needs (I do mean all) ever since I came home. This has meant a lot of lost sleep and even more fetch & carry on his part. Finally on Thursday. with the help of the physical therapist, I mastered getting myself into bed. This will Allow him to sleep through the night, he soooo needs it. The physical and an occupational therapist come once a week and an aid comes twice a week to help me shower. I can't tell you how good a shower felt after the first week.

A friend from church and his son spent a full and parts of several other days replacing a window in our entryway with a wide door. This will open onto an elaborate 4 foot wide wheelchair ramp due to be installed by Interfaith Services on Monday. Too late for my Dr's appointment last Thursday, but it will get a lot of use in the future. In addition to caring for me, Richard has been busy digging up landscape plants and a brick walk. Paul & a couple other friends helped move these. Today a volunteer came to do some prep work for the ramp and Richard is still moving stuff. The ramp will be U-shaped and about 35 or 40 foot long. I'm considering calling it the Great Wall because it will look similar from the perspective of the top. It will have hand rails on both sides and a total of 3 level platforms. One where it connects to the house and two where the ramp changes direction. All in all, the house will have a whole new look. Large rhodies will fill the area between the long legs of the U and there will be block or brick form an access patio to the ramp from the front walk.

Thank you for all the assistance and most of all for you prayers on our behalf. The Lord is providing even if my original orthopedic surgeon made things more or less an insurance nightmare. No, I will not go into that on-line. I have new Dr. She is great on so many levels. I see her again on the 11Th. Until later, Nancy

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to heara that you are moving around better. I love you and miss you all very much. I wish I could visit you, but for now, I think that having three kids around would be harder on you than you need right now. I hope to talk to you soon. Get well as fast as possible. All my love, Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your feeling better too.
    Love, Shelley

    ReplyDelete