Thursday, September 22, 2011

Progress

Monday was Richard's 72nd birthday. Our son Rick and his family came down from Washington over the weekend to help celebrate the occasion. While here, Rick and his crew surprised us by painting our bedroom a soft, warm brown. That color draws from the curtains, the oak furniture, and the throw rugs and pops against the white trim.

They moved all the heavy furniture away from the walls, dismantled a shelving unit, painted, and then moved the furniture back into place. What a blessing. That furniture has not been moved in about 5 years ( I just can't do it any more). The cobwebs and accumulation of debris that had fallen behind it was impressive. But now it is clean. This week I am going through cloths, nick knacks, medications, etc. and discarding a lot of "stuff" before putting what I will keep back in place. I also need to have my grandson Chris help me reassemble the shelving for my antique toy collection. The toys will be cleaned and placed back on the shelf only after the shelves are painted.

I will also have Chis paint the upper 2 feet of the bathroom. It will be the same shade of brown.
Earlier this month, Chris and I painted the living room. It hadn't been painted in about 16 years, when we moved back from Washington. That room is a soft, almost apple green that brings out the green in the carpet and contrasts well with the dark blue furniture.

My job next week will be to complete the work in the bathroom and do some repairs in the entry way in preparation for painting in there. I haven't quite decided what color this area will be. There is also a small area in my office that has never been painted. It consists of two short walls that make up a closet. I may use a shade of lighter green on it to highlight the green in the wall paper elsewhere in the room. Well before Halloween, our house, at least the part we actually live in, should be looking good. The rest of it will take a bit more time.

1 comment: