Saturday, January 28, 2012

ouch

This week has brought both frustration and encouragement. Frustration because I have lost a front tooth. Encouragement because I can finally wear a shoe on my left foot and begin the process of literally getting back on my feet.

Last week I bit down on a piece of oven fried potatoes. An extra crispy shard cut into my gum and one of my front teeth felt a bit loose. I put on my night guard hoping to stabilize it while the gum healed. But no luck. A week later, the tooth was all but dangling when the guard was removed. I went to the dentist. They took x-rays and said the tooth had had it. So the guard is back on, for now. I have a consult scheduled for Monday morning to discuss options. At this point in my life, I am insurance poor, but have no dental coverage. So fancy fixes are out. There will be no implants, and because a bridge would need to be double (I lost a tooth 2 years ago in close proximity), I'm told it would not hold up. So I will most likely need a partial plate. Ouch. My biggest question is If I loose another tooth, will I need to have a whole new plate made or can they add on to that one? My teeth seem to be on their last legs. So I have lots of questions.

I have a savings account to cover stuff like this, but I also want to travel this year. My account can't handle both at the same time. Is the Lord telling me something? Is it don't go, delay going, or that He has other plans? Patience needed here. It is frustrating to the point of tears. We haven't seen out Germany grandchildren in 3 years. They are growing and changing so fast. It would be easy to question, and at times I confess I do. But I also recognize just who is in charge. He loves and cares for me. I simply need to trust.

I also saw the podiatrist yesterday. He is very please with how my foot is healing. I have now been given the OK to not wear the special shoe 24/7. I took it off when I went to bed last night for the first time in nearly 5 weeks. I can now sit up with my leg on a stool, as long as that stool is at least level with the chair and not lower. I can wear an open toed shoe with stiff sole (Berks - thanks Amy for the shoes) for a short time, alternating with the surgery shoe. I can be on my feet for up to an hour or even two (I need to pay attention to swelling and pain levels). I can start soaking my foot alternately in hot water and then ice (thanks Shelley for the foot bath). He said it will probably be another 3 weeks before I can be back to any sort of normal activity. But it is a beginning, and that is exciting. I don't need to see him again until Feb. 22.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the tooth. I wish I could just say I'll pay for the tickets. But I can not do that right now. Maybe later? I'm pretty disheartened about the house. We showed it yesterday, and 3 times today. It cost too much for the big family, and is too big for the small families. I'm guessing we will rent it out. But for now, it takes all our money. So we will just have to see. Let's take it a day at a time. God give us what we need today, and bless us with what we need in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all good questions to ask. Glad your foot is doing better. Love, Shell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your foot is better It will be at least a week before I can get in to get the shot in my back I hope its sooner we will see waiting on the dotors to csll

    ReplyDelete