Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lots of "Small Stuff"

The world is made up of every day things, spiced with small stuff. We go about our routines not even actually taking note until something catches our eye, ear, or feelings. That is how life is.

This week Richard and I went for a run. Not your normal run, but a run none the less. I had been in the habit of walking with him as he scooted around the neighborhood in his new power chair. But one day last week my foot cramped so bad it took half an hour to get back home. I iced and elevated it, didn't walk any more than absolutely necessary for a couple days afterward. But this day, it was so nice out that Richard was chomping at the bit to go. So we tied my wheel chair (from when I broke my leg) to the back of his power chair and down the street we went. No, I don't have a picture.

Speaking of my foot, I saw the Dr. on Tuesday. He ordered x-rays and will study them to determine a course of action. If my joints are OK, they may go in and do some complicated procedures which will lay me low for about 5 months of recovery. However, this procedure would just make my foot more painful if those joints are eroded with arthritis. In that case the procedure of choice will be to shave a section of bone (the bunion) to relieve pressure on the nerve. Not as long a recovery (5-8 weeks). Neither procedure would correct my flat feet. Orthotics or a good arch support insert should help. By the way, I was told that bunions are hereditary, sorry kids. They develop over time and can be exasperated by wearing tight shoes. Wearing good shoes can slow the process (all my girls wear good shoes) but not entirely prevent it.

Back to Richard's power chair. We got a call yesterday afternoon telling us that someone will be by this morning to pick up the chair. They will replace the seat and return the chair tomorrow. He almost cried when he realized his only means of independent travel was disappearing. So he will take a run before the guy gets here and I will take him shopping for a new mattress this afternoon. This should take his mind off of his loss.

We have been looking forward to getting a new mattress for about 4 years, but just couldn't afford it. Well I got my annual annuity payment in the mail yesterday. Part of it has been dedicated to that mattress. Our old one (about 20 years old) gives me a back ache and Richard has actually slid off the side of it on more than one occasion. A new one is past due.

Amy, here is the recipe for beef stew that I promised:

Put 2 quarts of water in a crock pot set on low. Add 2 cups each of large chunked potatoes and carrots -1 cup each onions and peas. I just use frozen. It makes it real easy. Cut a really cheap cut of beef (about 1 lb) into 1/2 inch cubes. Add the meat and 8 cubes of boullion (beef or chicken) and let cook over night. If you want the gravy to be a bit thicker, mix 3 tablespoons of corn starch in 1/2 cup cold water and stir into the cooked stew. Allow it to cook for another couple hours. That is all there is to it. No additional salt or spices required. Just enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. a good mattress will help you both sleep better.
    I've been wearing good shoes for years because of the accident I had years ago. Good shoes really make a difference.

    I like birks but others like other good shoes, are you going to a foot dr?

    ReplyDelete