Friday, April 30, 2010

Perspective

This week has gotten a bit better each day. My last physical therapy appointment was on Tuesday. My knee is doing great. The therapist measured my ability to flex the knee (111 degrees), stretch it out (neutral/completely straight), and strength to push and pull (both good).


Before surgery I could only get to 96 degrees, straiten to -8 cm, could push but not pull at all. So I am felling real good about the results. I still have some numbness on one side of the incision that may take up to 2 years to return, if at all. Small price to pay for being able to walk.


My back is still bothering me a bit. It is the sacroiliac joint on the left side. It is probably an arthritic flareup from moving those bins of yard debris, but it is getting better. Ice has helped most, though I have had to take some pain meds a couple times. I really hate not being able to just do what I see needs to be done.

The sun is shining and the yard is calling. I will concentrate on those things I can do without aggravating my back again. I can balance my accounts. I can work on a project for a service group I head up. I can enjoy a presentation Shelley is giving tonight at church. I can cook something (cake or pie) for a pot luck tomorrow. I will also pick up some potting soil and more weed eater string for Richard. The last few days have been rather wet so he hasn't been outside either. he is anxious to finish trimming around the flower beds and in the vegetable garden walkways.

Spring is here both weather wise and in our hearts. Time for new beginnings. Time to plant seed and watch it grow. We will also add to our family. A new daughter-in-law in June and a new great-grandchild in July. Our oldest great-granddaughter is officially a teenager today. Oh how they grow. Happy birthday Taylor. We love you so much. Wish we could give you a hug, but you are so far away in Florida. Hope to see you again soon or at least before you are all grown up.

Joy is all in the perspective. Today I choose to embrace life. To do those things that I can. To look forward to the future. To encourage others in their efforts. To be thankful for all that God has provided. Hope you have a wonderful day.

1 comment: