Wednesday, April 21, 2010

win some, lose some

This week has been one of those. You know what I mean. You win some and you lose some. You gain a little ground and then fall flat on your face, type of week.


Richard has been doing OK as far as his oxygen levels are concerned. A few months ago the Dr. even approved him to not have O2 connected to his C-pap while he sleeps. He had needed a hernia repair for a long time and then when he developed a bowel obstruction they finally got it done. He has healed up without any infection developing. That is so great. Then in December his A1C (sustained blood sugar) started going up. We have tried to control it through diet, but it isn't working the way it used to.


This week the Dr. told Richard that if he can't get it down by June, he will need to have daily insulin injections. Also this week, Richard's dietitian imposed a Gluten-free diet in addition to the very restrictive diabetic diet he is already on. This is because of the symptoms that he has displayed for years that indicate a sensitivity to gluten. These include joint pain (diagnosed as arthritis) bowel problems (diagnosed as Crohn's), and still other more minor indicators. Richard has previously been tested for Ciliac disease (an allergy to gluten). Tests came back negative. But evidently the tests are not full proof. Since we have a granddaughter who has been confirmed to have Ciliac disease and it runs in families, they have decided to err on the side of caution. Helpppppp.


I thought counting carbohydrates and making sure they are properly spaced throughout the day was hard. Now add this new restriction. Not only am I getting cross-eyed reading food labels, but this stuff is expensive. Guess I am in for a real learning curve again. Still, it is better than more medication. Oops, we still may need insulin.


Then there was the phone message from Phoenix. Richard's oldest brother had been admitted to the hospital. Seems he has some sort of infection in his blood stream. They are culturing it and won't really know what they are dealing with for a couple days. But antibiotics are working. He is on the mend. This man has serious health issues and has been fighting with the VA for 4 years, trying to get medical benefits related to injuries sustained in the Korean War. He had an appointment with an attorney today, but his wife is going in his place. Sure hope they get some results.


My car has had a rattle in the under-carriage for several days. I thought it might be something had come loose. So I took into Firestone and they conformed it was under the car, possibly the catilitic converter. But I would need to make an appointment just to check it out. Then they might need to refer me elsewhere. So I came home and called a muffler shop. They got me in within a couple hours. It is a baffle inside the the muffler. Not reason to panic. Unless it becomes really loud, starts interfering with gas mileage, or I plan to take a long trip, replacing the muffler can wait. I just need to give them 24 hours notice so they can order the part.


Today I was in the middle of checking my e-mail when my internet service went down. I tried re-booting, re-installing, even called for technical support. Actually I called 3 times. Finally I had Dianna bring her cell phone up so revision of settings could be tested without getting off line. Yeah it works. Thanks Dee.


I am stressed. Richard is hungry and concerned. We are both feeling old. Don't worry, we will adapt. We will recover. We will survive. Praise God we don't have to go it alone. There is no end to information and experts, or so it seems. In the end, most of the issues have resolved . But please let this week be done. Neither we or our loved ones need anything else right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment