Monday, February 2, 2009

Early Planting


Our planting beds are about 15 feet long. It was so nice out this morning that I weeded and loosened the soil in about half of this one. I will finish the other half tomarrow afternoon. Some of this bed contains perenial plants (asparigus, flowers, etc), so it took a little effort to determine what was what. Maybe I need to keep a journal or at least a chart of what is planted where. I really like being able to sit on the edge of the blocks while I work. Getting down on the ground (actually, more the getting up again) is becoming difficult with my arthritic knees.
I also pruned the rasberries and loosened the soil around them. Rasberries produce fruit on 2 year old canes. This time of year you can see where last years fruit has been. This makes it easy to determine the older canes and prune them down. Not only does this leave more room for the new growth, but also eliminates a place for harmful insects to breed.
Surprises:
In weeding my one bed, I discovered that there were actually several lettuce starts clumped together. I dug part of them up and spread them out. I also found that I have plenty of both bush and sugar pod pea seed. All I need buy right now is spinach. I'll space the planting of new lettuce out to about every 3 weeks. That puts the next planting to around the last week in February. By then, all the beds will be ready for planting. New starts of tender vegies will be growing in the greenhouse, and I will be concentrating more on the flower beds.
Richard is getting antcy about getting outdoors too. The only thing that has stopped him till now has been the cold. He has poor cuirculation. But with the warmer air, he will be doing some pruning of fruit trees using a pole pruner and roses using hand pruners. This is something I find difficult to do. I have far less strength in my hands and wrists than he does. Besides, he really enjoys pruning as long as I do the clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment