Thursday, February 5, 2009

Progress

About a month ago I shared with you the blessing heaped upon me by the men of our church. They offered to remodel my basement sewing room. Since that time they have come on 3 different occasions to measure, photograph, and ask questions about the space. Plans have been made and dates set for the completion of the project. I have emptied the room and closet of what seems like a ton of fabric, furniture and storage boxes. It is ready. On Tuesday next week 3 men will replace a closet wall to isolate that space from the gas-fired boiler in an adjacent room, put the raised floor in that area, and build shelving for my fabric. Then on the 14th they will return and complete the project. They will spend 2 more days rebuilding the closet that holds our well so that the window will open, move an electrical plug so it will be more accessible to my sewing machine, construct a false floor of pressure treated lumber and flooring materials, and replace the ceiling that was torn up years ago when we had the house rewired.
We offered to at least pay for the materials, but they would have none of it. They are taking a tax-deductable collection to cover this as a home missions project. You can bet these workers will get a great lunch out of this.
I have once again been reminded that you just can not out give the Lord. Just under 2 years ago I initiated the Caring and Helping Hands group at church. Since then the group has provided assistance and comfort to hundreds of people in untold ways. Being able to co-ordinate this effort has in itself been a tremendous gift to me. But I honestly do think that I have received more on an individual basis than any other one person among them. One man cleaned out my gutters, 2 others repaired some electrical and outlets and lighting, a lady picked up my house when I was expecting company and my knee was injured, another brought groceries inside, one man pruned our apple trees 2 years in a row, and I have received countless cards and calls of encouragement. Just another confirmation of this ancient promise from God that you can not outgive Him. It really is such a humbling reality.
Richard too, gives what he has. While he can no longer cut lawns, prune trees, and provide physical helps to others, he still has much to offer. He has a great deal of know how that others can draw from and as a cartoonist, he spends hours on end sketching. These renderings are given to a lady at church who then sends them to our troops serving abroad. A funny cartoon to make a soldier laugh in the midst of their lonely and strssful existance is a tremendous gift. Thank you Jesus. Thank you from the depths of my soul for both opportunities to help and blessings received. You may choose to use people, but and you alone are our provider, especially in time of need. I love you so very much. Thank you is inadequite. My hope is that both Richard and I can continue to pass along your blessings so that all who receive, will be motivated to do likewise.

2 comments:

  1. This is great. How exciting, what a blessing. Love, Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tears in my eyes. You make me proud ...you both do.

    ReplyDelete