Thursday, June 17, 2010

It will come together

So many last minute details, so many final changes, so many unexpected blessings.

A big family wedding is an event to be anticipated with joy. Yes, it is a lot work. Yes, it can (is) stressful. Yes, there are issues and changes that are not anticipated. But that is precisely why you do literally everything you can anticipate as far in advance as possible. If there is one thing that you can count on, it is that there will be changes and unexpected issues. It is just the nature of planning any project, be it a family gathering, a trip, or something else.

Shelley did not anticipate children at this wedding, but there will be several. Neither Shelley or I expected out of town house guests, but all our beds, plus mats on the floor will be filled. From my view point, it is wonderful. We don't get much opportunity to see some of these folks. They are more than welcome. They won't be here more than a night or two. But these people will need to eat.

I will be busy on the day of the wedding and not really available to cook, So I spent yesterday in the kitchen. No, I did not go out and blow my budget. In fact, I had already been slowly working through the food stored in my freezer, much of which Richard can no longer eat. I pulled out apple pie filling that had wheat flour as a thickener and pre-made crust to make 2 pies. A roll of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and one of ginger cookies were baked, as well. There were cooked pinto beans to which I added onions, hamburger, cheese and taco sauce. I also found an abundance of flour tortillas. A hardy vegetable soup went into the crock pot and a ham into the roaster oven. All this and an assortment of great breads all from the freezer. Then I cleaned out the vegetables from the refrigerator, assembling an eggplant casserole.

Sweets for Richard were not neglected. I made a pan of macaroons (gluten free) from a carton of egg whites, splenda, corn starch, and coconut. It was topped with a layer of chocolate. All these ingredients were also off the shelf or out of the refrigerator.

Breakfast items I have on hand will provide a variety of choices, as well. I have the ingredients for waffles, scrambled eggs, toast, cereal, and don't forget that ham. All I really need to get is coffee and maybe some fruit. I would have needed these anyway.

Company is helping me clean out the old to make room for this year's harvest. Thank you Lord. Shelley, do you need any food?

2 comments:

  1. That's good mom,
    I'm still cleaning house and cleaning up the yard.
    Haven't gotten to the food thing yet.

    ReplyDelete