Friday, June 25, 2010

returning normal

Life in the Moreno house is finally returning to normal. How so? Well if you can actually define normal, it goes something like this.

I started walking again before breakfast. Granted I am currently only walking about 1/4 mile and actually feel a bit shaky doing so. But it is a start. Being able to walk was one of the goals I gave my physical therapist. The others were shopping (without the use of an electric cart) and climbing up and down stairs (to do laundry). These other two goals are also still a bit tenuous. I can shop at smaller stores but still use the cart at those BIG stores. I can also go up and down stairs, but need one hand to hold onto the rail. So I can do laundry but can only carry up a few cloths at a time, not a basket full. Still, it is progress.

Another sign of normalcy is that I actually mowed the lawn and used the weed-eater a couple weeks ago. Paul has mowed it since and I really need to do it again. Maybe I will tackle part of it this afternoon. I don't yet have the stamina to accomplish the whole thing at once.

Yesterday I stripped the guest beds, folded up the roll-away and moved it to allow for better access to Dianna's boxes in the exercise room. I had tried using my stationary bike about two months ago, but access to it was compromised to the point that I just gave up on it. Soon that too, will be resumed. When the room is cleared out I can also set up the treadmill, as well. While Richard finds it difficult to walk outside, he can walk on the treadmill where he can hang on to the bars. This is a manual device, so he can set his own pace. Right now he gets very little exercise.

A new normal is eating no gluten. It is incredible how many foods contain gluten, but we are learning this truth. While I have gone through most of our cupboards and given away literally hundreds of dollars worth of food to our kids, food drives, and the church pantry, I am still working on the freezers. It will take some time, but when all has been consumed or given away (I refuse to toss good food), we will only restock with gluten free foods for both of us. It will make cooking a bit easier.

Gluten free products are available in Corvallis. You just have to look for them. That means shopping at several stores instead of one. It also means reading labels in detail and using mostly fresh products. Nothing wrong with that, except the cost. The Lord provides even for that. Since I now get some groceries, especially fresh and frozen produce from the Gleaners, my budget can be used to purchase gluten free products. So in the long run, I spend no more than I did before.

Today is the first day of our lives. This is true for each of us. How we use the time we have is not entirely our choice. It is somewhat limited based on outside forces. But for that other portion of which we do have a choice, I pray we will all use it for good. God bless and keep you. May His peace be upon you. May you find at least one positive thing in your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment