Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Life is good

It has finally gotten warm enough that I opened the windows while I slept last night. I always use a fan to circulate the air, but that air was so stuffy it needed to be refreshed. Could it be that summer has come? Dare I hope? Will my tomatoes actually start growing or is this a tease? Only time will tell. Lord knows we are all ready for summer. But then we are nearly always ready for a change of season when it comes, well nearly.

Dianna and Paul are in the process of moving to their own place. We are excited for them and for us. I was able to send over some supplies from my refrigerator and cupboards to help out. It was a big relief, actually. I had stocked up and cooked for a crowd over the weekend and hardly any of it was used. Richard and I just don't eat that much. He can't eat flour any more and I had baked a couple apple pies using what was on hand. No more than a couple pieces actually were eaten so I have had pie for breakfast 3 days in a row and for desert each night (it was made with splenda). Finally the pie is gone. I won't want to look at another piece of pie for a long time.

It will take a couple more weeks till Dianna and Paul start actually taking their "things" from here over to their new place. They emptied out their 2 storage units and took over all the furniture they will be using. They are currently going through boxes and also taking other "stuff" they need. Next they will put all the left overs into one of the units and give up the other. Only then will they come and work on the things they left here. They have many boxes, a small dresser, a roll-away bed, storage shelves, a computer, clothing and more to move from the house before I can even think about getting my house back in order. But there is a candle flickering at the end of the tunnel. I may need to look around the bend to see it, but it is there.

Tomorrow morning I start walking again. First a broken leg, then recovering from surgery, and lastly an irritated hip that has finally started to feel better after using a lift in one shoe for a few weeks. I used to love to walk and am really looking forward to making it a part of my routine again, I need to. I have put on several pounds during this ordeal and walking is about the only effective way I have ever found for taking it off.

This morning I picked about 2 quarts of sugar pod peas. They are so yummy, green candy. I have been picking for about 2 weeks now, but as the weather warms they will stop producing. So we will enjoy while we can. Peas with salad, peas in soup, peas in stir fry, etc. We love them. I will put a few in the freezer if there are any left. They will taste even better this winter.

I picked a couple ripe cherries this morning too. These are the Queen Anne's and so good fresh. We have a lot of pie cherries, a couple varieties of plumbs, apples of several sorts, a peach, walnuts, almonds, fig, kiwi, and several sorts of berries and grapes. Each ripens in sequence, keeping us busy until mid-October. I love it. Being able to pick fresh fruits and veggies as I need them. We do can, dry and freeze, but not so much that it gets tiresome. You have to have some sort of limits on it. If it gets to be too much, we give the rest away. We always share it anyway. Fresh produce is better than chocolate, at least to me it is.

Life is good. There have been some losses and recent grief, but right now no one is seriously ill, we are able to get around, we are adding to the family, and we don't owe anyone a red cent. What more can we ask? Praise God for His provision.

No comments:

Post a Comment