Monday, July 5, 2010

Going Squirrely




We have owned the same house for 38 years. We have always had squirrels that scampered over our roof, buried nuts from our trees, and generally entertained us. This year we have a squirrel that I have dubbed Alvin. He/she is a real character. Curious just does not describe it. This youngster visits my deck each day. He/she pokes his nose into anything new (boxes, empty pots, etc.). He has knocked down potted plants, dug up newly planted starts, and for some unknown reason has a facination for my glass table top. Actually it is a roung of glass sitting on top of a 10 gallon crock. I use it as a side table. Several consecutive days last week I found the glass had been completely knocked off the crock. Each time I replaced it, it would be knocked off again. I initially thought the squirrel was using the table as a place to land when jumping off the roof, so I placed a plastic frog on it, to no avail. Next I moved the whole thing, trading places with a small plastic table, it was now under the eves. Still this morning I heard a commotion and sure enough, it was the squirrel jumping on the glass. I knocked on the office window, scarring him. Still he came back. So again I knocked on the window. This went on and on, at least a dozen rounds of it before the squirrel finally left. I am sure he will be back. I have some automotive sealant in the shop. This, placed along the underside of the glass at the rim of the crock should at least keep the glass from falling. What the squirrel will come up with next is anyones guess.

2 comments:

  1. We have squirrels too, and the damage they an cause can make them a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. try putting a table cloth on the glass. The animal sees his reflection in the glass. maybe it’s fighting?

    ReplyDelete