Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mystery solved

I figured it out. Alvin was not using the glass table as a landing pad. He wasn't seeing his reflection in the glass. He was actually after the wooden bushel basket lid under the glass. How did I come to this conclusion? When I looked out the window yesterday, Alvin was furiously licking a piece of wood. Turns out it was a small shard that had broken off the basket cover when I emptied some water from it awhile back. It was such a small piece I hadn't even noticed it. But Alvin did.

You see I have used the crock to make pickles on several occasions. While the crock has always been cleaned following the production of pickles, the basket cover has only been rinsed off. It had evidently absorbed some of the salty brine. That is what Alvin was after - salt. He will have to find a new source from now on. The crock, the glass top and the bushel basket cover are under tight security, a table cloth and heavy potted plant. What will he do now?

1 comment: