Monday, January 5, 2009

Welcome to my world

It is Monday, January 5. A new week, the first full week of the year started yesterday. Richard and I got up, ate breakfast, took our medication (I hate taking meds) then went to Sunday school and church. On our return home I heated up some lunch, did a few minor chores, read the paper, and did some suduco puzzles. Our daughter Dianna gave me a book of suduco to occupy my free time on a trip to China in 2007. I am hooked. When I sit down I pick up either my crochet, a book, or a suduco. At least there is variety.

Sunday afternoons are pretty quiet around here. We generally just kick back and take it easy. Yesterday we had a fire going and watched a little TV. There was an old western on with Jane Fonda. I don't recall the name, but it involved the survival of a homestead ranch and a large corporation who tried to swindle them out of the land. Of course the rancher prevailed in the end.

Richard is doing better. We were able to take part in the senior pot luck on Saturday. They had an old time radio announcer sharing portions of audio-only programs from the 30s and 40s. Boy did that bring back early memories. I can recall sitting in front of our floor model radio on Saturday morning hanging on every sound conveyed through programs such as "Let's Pretend", "Red Rider", "Tom Mix", "Staight Arrow", "The Lone Ranger", and "The Green Hornet". Of course we also listened to "The Shadow", "I Love Lucy", "Burns & Allen", "Red Skelton", "Edward R Murrell", and so many other greats from that era. We had a wonderful time, even won a disc of Lucy. I expect it will provide many more evenings of nastagia to come.

Shelley & Eric are on their way to Baltimore this morning for a week of trade show. They hope to take a few hours during this time to wander around Washington, D.C. The last time they were there was just a long lay-over at the airport. They essentially rented a cab in the middle of the night and had it drive around some of the more popular sights. Just enough sightseeing to wet the appetite.

Dianna is home and back to work cooking for some 200+ kids at a local care center. I expect Paul will be "on the road again". It is hard to say when he will darken our doors the next time, probably not soon.

Amy is sick. According to her blog she is spending the day in bed with an audio book, her electric fireplace ablaze. Juergen is working from home and keeping an eye on the kids before and after school. Hope she recovers real soon.

Rick spent most of his weekend empying boxes from his move and putting thins away. I expect that chore will take a few more weeks to complete. The main thing is that all those boxes can be stored in the garage until time for them to be empied. Having a garage must be so nice. No clutter inside. I am definately jealous.

Today I need to work on making name tags for all the ladies in my Tuesday morning bible study group (no, I'm not teaching it), copy some information sheets for the Crisis Care class I am teaching on Wednesday evenings, and develop an agenda for the Caring & Helping Hands ministry I lead. We will be holding our bi-monthly meeting this week. I will be writing more about these three groups as time goes on. Have a great day. God bless and keep you safe and warm, and no matter how small, may you accomplish something positive today.

1 comment:

  1. After a long day of traveling we did make it to Baltimore. We have a early day tomorrow.
    Love, Shelley

    ReplyDelete